US Election: £500,000 bet on Biden sets Betfair Exchange record

Biden Harris campaign signs
Has our customer backed the winning team?

A UK Betfair customer today placed a £500,000 bet on Joe Biden winning the 2020 election to set a record for largest wager of the 2020 campaign

"It is the biggest bet of the campaign so far in a market that is going to break all sorts of records."

A UK-based Betfair Exchange customer has staked £500,000 on Joe Biden to win the 2020 US election at odds of 1.538/15. Including the stake the bet returns £775,000.

It is the biggest bet of the campaign so far in a market that is going to break all sorts of records.

Once out in the wilds as a 100.099/1 shot during what was perceived to be a lacklustre campaign to win the Democrat nomination, Biden is now the clear favourite to be named Next President.

Barack Obama's former vice president is 1.51/2 (66% implied probability) to defeat incumbent Donald Trump at the ballot next month. Trump can be backed at 2.982/1 (34% implied probability) to be re-elected.

There's an interesting pattern to the way each candidate has been bet.

The top 10 biggest bets are all for Biden as heavyweight political traders come out in force behind the Democrat winning.

However, more total money has so far been bet on Trump (£83m) than Biden (£74m)

Interest in the market, already massive at more than £100m, has snowballed in recent days with £9m bet in the last 24 hours - putting the election firmly on course to smash 2016 election's record to become the biggest betting event of all time.

At the time of writing the market has seen more than £167m bet.

Betfair spokesperson Sam Rosbottom said: "A customer has just placed a record-breaking £500k bet on Joe Biden on Betfair Exchange at 1.538/15, breaking records for this campaign. The wager is the latest significant stake on a Biden win and as far as one political bettor is concerned at least, the Democrat challenger has never been in a stronger position for victory."

2020 US Presidential Election: USA - Presidential Election 2020 (Next President)

Show Hide

Tuesday 3 November, 10.00am

Market rules

Back Lay
Joe Biden
Donald Trump
Kamala Harris
Mike Pence
Tim Kaine
Cory Booker
Hillary Clinton
Andrew Cuomo
Elizabeth Warren
Paul Ryan
Michelle Obama
Bernie Sanders
Marco Rubio
Michael Bloomberg
Julian Castro
Amy Klobuchar
John Kasich
Ted Cruz
Nikki Haley
Newt Gingrich
Ivanka Trump
Catherine Cortez Masto
Trey Gowdy
Mark Cuban
Caroline Kennedy
Al Gore
Mark Zuckerberg
Kanye West
John Hickenlooper
Dannel Malloy
Jay Inslee
Mark Dayton
Oprah Winfrey
Ken Bone
Dwayne Johnson
Eric Garcetti
Howard Schultz
John Delaney
Sally Yates
Deval Patrick
Bob Iger
Evan McMullin
Gavin Newsom
John Kerry
Kirsten Gillibrand
Al Franken
Tim Ryan
Steve Bullock
Roy Cooper
Sherrod Brown
Martin O'Malley
Tulsi Gabbard
Doug Jones
Mitt Romney
Nina Turner
George Clooney
Condoleezza Rice
Jason Kander
Michael Avenatti
Tom Cotton
Ben Sasse
Eric Holder
John McAfee
Candace Owens
Stephanie Clifford
Maggie Hassan
Elon Musk
Beto O'Rourke
Bill de Blasio
Rahm Emanuel
Oscar De La Hoya
Sarah Palin
Andrew Gillum
Richard Ojeda
Eric Swalwell
Andrew Yang
Tom Steyer
James Mattis
Angelina Jolie
Joe Kennedy
Larry Hogan
Pete Buttigieg
Stacey Abrams
Terry McAuliffe
Wayne Messam
Bill Weld
Michael Bennet
Jon Stewart
Seth Moulton
Mike Gravel
Marianne Williamson
Joe Walsh
Nancy Pelosi
Gretchen Whitmer
Jesse Ventura
Justin Amash
Val Demings
Keisha Lance Bottoms
Mike Pompeo
Donald Trump Jn
Liz Cheney
Jim Jordan
John Bolton
Kevin McCarthy
Susan Rice
Tammy Duckworth
Ben Carson
Rand Paul
Mike Huckabee
Rick Perry
Josh Hawley
Ron DeSantis
Rick Scott
Valerie Jarrett
Karen Bass
Nadja West
Gina Raimondo
chuck grassley
Kristi Noem
Jo Jorgensen
Howie Hawkins
Mark Esper
Patrick Leahy
Up
Down

Bet slip

Close

Get a Free £/€20 Exchange Bet

  • Join Now - Open account using promo code VAL225
  • Bet - Place a £/€20 Bet on the Exchange
  • Earn We'll Refund You £/€20 If the Bet Loses
Bet now

T&Cs apply.

Discover the latest articles

Read past articles