French Presidential Election: Macron is short odds-on after first round of voting
Emmanuel Macron topped the vote in the first round of the French Presidential election and is now a huge odds-on favourite on Betfair Exchange
Key Facts from the Betfair Exchange
• Emmanuel Macron clear favourite following the result of the first round of voting for the French Election, trading at odds of [1.13] having touched [44.0] last year
• Marine Le Pen trading at [8.2], however 57% of bets today have been on the National Front leader
• £16.3m now matched on Next President market, £360k matched today with £2.3 million on polling day yesterday
• In total on the market 40% of volume has been on Macron, 30% on Le Pen. Both on around 19% of bets
• Of the candidates now eliminated, Fillon had been matched at [1.4], Juppe [1.45] and Melenchon [7.0]
• Biggest winner on the 1st round market won £42k for Macron's triumph
• £1.4 million was traded on that market yesterday, with almost £2million in total
Current Largest Bet
• £15k on Macron at [1.17] - placed last night at 8.45pm
Betfair Spokesperson Katie Baylis says: "Emmanuel Macron is now clear favourite to become French President when the final vote is taken on May 7th, with odds of [1.13] (88% chance of being elected).
"Since Sunday, about 75% of volume has been on Macron, but only about 33% of bets. In fact, 57% of all bets today have been on Le Pen and as we've seen with Brexit and the US Election, nothing can be taken for granted, despite all signs pointing towards a Macron victory at this stage."